Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Now that's more like it.

Started by Revtro, July 30, 2011, 04:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Got out today at 7.  We decided to start trying to figure out how to better find the deep main lake bass so our gameplan was two-fold.  First we started out in the US toward the shipping channel where I had found some rocks and weeds last weekend.  We were struggling to catch anything so by 8 we thought about heading to Canada.  So I called the border service and the lady on the line told me that I had to enter Canada then call back.  Being pretty irritated by that since I was only about 100 yards form the border, I decided "skip you Canada...you suck" and stayed in the US.  I wasn't about to risk being called to some marina for an inspection 15 miles away.  So we decided to pick apart our US areas a little better.  And I'm glad we did!  You lose Canada...I probably won't buy a license next year if you're gonna remain this way.  Freakin' Canadians!  :P Anyway... 

We drifted into an area with isolated weed beds that came all the way up to the top in 17 foot of water.  When we made our first drift, we got 3 back to back to back.  None of the fish were small.  They were all around 3 or better lbs.  We got them all on dropshots.  I was using a Money Minnow and my partner a dropshot tube.  After a while things slowed down in that area, so we decided to check out the South Channel.  CHA CHING!  We found an area that was holding a good school of fish.  Again, nothing small.  We never caught a dink today, only good fish.  Not 5lbers, but good solid 3lb average.  We fished a 14 deep rocky hole that was holding a good number of bass.  One really cool thing we saw was a snake along the top of the water and about a foot down a smallmouth following it.  It was really cool.  I wish I could have gotten a pic.  It was neat to watch.

So we fished this area for quite a while hooking up with and catching a bunch.  So I learned two important things.  There are some schools of fish to be found near the shipping channel and there are some fish already up in the channels.  And they were nice quality fish.  I still think we have much to learn and I want to find more areas like what we were on today, but it was a good start.  I'll post a couple of pics later.  I gotta run.  Great day today.  Except for the bugs...sheesh. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Firefighter Jeff

Good report.  I agree with your thinking on Canada.  Thanks for posting.  I only get up there once or twice a year in the Spring, but I still like reading about that awesome fishery  !!

Skulley

That's an interesting report Rev.  I was looking at a map of the lake the other evening and said to myself, "you really don't have to go to Canada."  There is great fishing in all the channels in U.S./Michigan water.  Just so many places to go that hold quality fish.  There is some great structure on the Mile Roads in deep water.  There are some great areas in the dumping ground as well as the shipping channel.  You can go to the fire cracker.  It's still in the U.S.  Just so many places to fish.  I am not going to say that I won't buy another Canadian license though.  Mainly because in the lower Detroit River, there are some great largemouth areas on the Canadian side.  I would hate to miss out on that.  I would however like to know how she knew you weren't in Canada.  Care to elaborate on that a little Rev.  Thanks.

BD                                ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Revtro

That's the million dollar question.  She just appeared to know.  I thought it was quite strange.  Maybe she just assumed because I was asking for permission to fish Canadian water. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

It's possible I guess that she knew somehow? Maybe she was guessing. I imagine lots of people are trying to call first before crossing so they don't get ordered to go to a marina.

I wonder how many people have been ordered to a marina? I wonder how sick the people answering the CANPASS phone number are by now?

BTW BD, the Firecracker tower is in Canadian water. Check your charts. The international borders crosses dead-smack between the floating marker on the edge of the channel and the tower, closer to the floating X32 buoy.

If you cast to the Firecracker tower you are fishing Canadian water.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mrkv1969

i have a 14ft deep v with a 15hp outboard. its no bass boat,but can handle lake st. clair on most days...i usually launch out of metro,but, im looking for somewhere to fish. i thought maybe the st clair river or other channels would be a better area to catch some bass....any advise would be greatly appreciated...

markgoetsch

I'd go out of algonac on the north channel.

stackenem

So how does the rules work if you are sitting on the US side can you cast to the Canadian side and still be legal?
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

No unless you have a Canadian license and the season is open.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.