Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 05:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Friday 9/16

Started by Revtro, September 16, 2011, 05:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Today was a great reminder of why I fish.  It wasn't because I got a 25lb bag, won any prizes, or caught 100 fish.  It was a great day because after a very long and difficult week, I got to get out with a heck of a nice guy, enjoy near perfect weather, a beautiful sunrise, plenty of fish caught, and great conversation with a new friend.

Yeah, that's fishing.  Thanks Jacksonmj for being a great guest and fishing partner today.  I had a very nice day.  Ok, so the report...

Got out at 7 on the main lake because I wanted to give a newcomer to St. Clair a taste of lake and channel fishing.  We stopped at a ridge along the Northern end of the Mile Roads in about 8 FOW and on the very first cast, a small keeper nailed my spinnerbait.  We thought this was gonna be a good sign but for the next 15 minutes we didn't get anything else. 

Next we headed up to the South Channel and fished some of the same stuff that's been working the past few weeks.  There was still plenty of bait and we caught many smallmouth in about 25 FOW.  Again, the trick was to get the bait deep in a hurry so that it got below the bait and most of the time, it yielded bites.  The difficulty today was keeping the fish hooked.  Together we probably lost 10 bass as they darted toward the boat and came unbuttoned.  I tend to think it's because of all the lead on the heavy jigs.  I don't know...I wish I could figure this one out.

Anyway, one nice smallie I caught was over 5lbs according to the Golden Rule.  It was a nice one for sure.  I wish I had a scale.  We caught a few other decent ones and lots of small ones and keeper size fish.  It was feast or famine today though.  It was like they were feeding in spurts.  We'd catch 5 or 6, then it would die for a half hour.  Then we'd catch more, then it would die off again. 

We then moved up to the San Souci area.  Nothing.  Not even a bite.  Just snags. 

So we moved back down to where we were catching them and picked up where we left off.  Caught some until it slowed then headed out to another main lake spot.  We pulled up on a wreck in about 8 FOW on the Eastern side of US water.  We got a couple of small ones, but it was full of Rock Bass.

It was nearing 2:00 and we moved back to the ridge we started at and never got another bite there.  All in all it was a great day on the water.  The water was calm for the most part and the channel bite was good.  It was an enjoyable day. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

YpsiBass

Always nice to end a week like that with a day on the lake.

Skulley

Glad to hear you did well out there Rev.  And you're right..........that is fishing.  You ought to give Erie a try sometime.  Fall is when Erie really shines.  I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks but the fish were starting to move into their fall patterns.  I am sure now with the cooling ambient air temperatures as well as falling water temperatures that those fish are right where they are supposed to be.  I have rarely gone to LSC in the fall because the fishing in Erie was so good.  Someday I will give it a try although I remember that day Mojo, you, and I did the south shore and we had a good day in the Askins Point area.  I haven't been back to LSC in the fall since that day.  I think that was in October early in the month.  According to my fishing log, it was a beautiful day that day and we were having an Indian Summer.   

I will be giving Erie a try tomorrow afternoon after Alec's morning soccer match.

BD                                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jacksonmj

Tom,

Thanks for a great time on the water and now I can say I fished St Clair while I was stationed in Michigan. The fishing was pretty good and that one was big crazy all the different size fish we caught on the same spots. I will be getting with you again before I leave for another trip. Always nice to meet new people and the catching is just a bonus! Thanks again something I will remember for a lifetime. Mike

bigjc

Great report Tom,

Ditto to what BD said...Erie can be sweet in the fall.  Maybe we could get together for an Erie trip in Oct.

djkimmel

Glad you two got out and had a fun day.

What size hooks are you using on your tube jigs?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.