Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 04:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Saturday 6/23

Started by Revtro, June 23, 2012, 11:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Well the BFL was out today and I hear there were a TON of fish caught.  My day was so-so.  I am currently refusing to buy a Canadian license, but that's really where I wanted to be because I have some great areas where I know I could have done a lot better.  That being said, I made the rounds.  I started out heading to a main lake area I really wanted to fish, but found two other boats on the structure I planned to fish.  I fished the area for a while, nothing.  I proceeded to the Metro Beach Area and only caught small fish.  I started working South and only found small fish.  

Discouraged, I made a move South toward GP Shores.  It was in 16FOW I found my biggest fish of the day at 4lbs.  We caught several keepers and a few more small ones.  The boat traffic was nuts so we got off the water at noon.

I never dialed in a pattern.  I got my best fish on a crankbait, but the rest were on tubes and only one on a dropshot.  No fish I caught today puked up fish flies, so I guess that's slowing down.  I wish I could have fished Canada, but at this point, I don't know if it's worth the hassle.  We'll see.  
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Erie660

Revtro I have called in to Canada a couple times this year when I was walleye fishing and it's pretty simple and quick. They ask for your boat info and who is with you and a couple other questions and you are good to go. After you call in the first time you are in the system with your boat so it goes pretty quick.

Revtro

Is it easier then the second time you call in because they know who you are? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Erie660

I cross the bridge often in a commercial vehicle and they have a record of everytime you cross from the fast pass system they use so I'm guessing when you report in on the water it works similar to that. I have called in twice and a buddy has called in three times and has had the same experience so far. They even called him by his name and told him to have a nice day. That surprised me a little because I know how they can be if they want lol. I went on-line and purchased my license and renewed my outdoors card and that was easy also. You print out your license and temporary outdoors card and you will get the permanent card in 2-3 weeks.

fiker

I hope you guys are right.  I called in once last year for the first time, and was hassled pretty bad.  I'm going again this morning and we'll see if it's easier this time. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Team houston

Back to the BFL. Check those weights and what it took to get a check. Lake St. Clair is alive and well.

Mojo

Quote from: Team houston on June 25, 2012, 10:11:16 AM
Back to the BFL. Check those weights and what it took to get a check. Lake St. Clair is alive and well.

For some ... :( .... Couple calculated mistakes and I bombed...... And the last two weeks I have been on bigger fish ..... Oh well ... goes the co angler ....

Rev - I was in Pikes Creek two days in a row (  with reason  ::)  ). Let me know if you get your CA so we can have some fun !!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

boohya1

I fished the bfl as a co, lost too many fish  >:(. should of had 17-18 but only got 13-13 on the scales. drop shotting and hooks were pulling out? Boater was having similar prob, so think they weren't taking it good. ohh well

Revtro

Rick, can you tell us about your experience?  What kind of hassle did you get?  This is why I am leery.  But Mojo is slowly talking me into it.   ;D  I miss the South Shore.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bob620

Rev,If I only live to 72, that means I have only 14 yrs left.There ain't no stinking politician worth Me giving up one of those years.Hey I am off for the shut down starting this Friday at 3 pm,or before,maybe Thursday.Lets get together and go to Canada.Hey I will buy your Canadian license and You can say You did not buy it and You didn't back down.You win!

bob 620 

Revtro

Hey Bob,
It's great to hear from ya!  It's hard to pass down the offer to fish for a week with my ole buddy.  But I won't have ya buy my license.  I'll bite the bullet.  It was more about the hassle than a protest.  We'll give er a try.   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bigjc

I am with you Tom...I am not buying Canadian this year for the first time in over a decade.

Mojo

I was on the water with Fight Club who had some original input:

CA waters are 2/3 the lake, and as much as the American waters get beat up, it just makes sense to go there.

Next gem I figured out,  if you have gotten a sports mans card before, you can go online and purchase your CA and your Sportsmans Card. Print the receipt confirmation and temp card. It has all your permanent numbers, hair, weight, expiration dates etc. It say you CAN fish immediately !  just keep it on you.

You guys have fun in 14-18 fow  ;)

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

fiker

I did go yesterday to Canadian waters.  More for adjusting sonar units than for fishing.

I called in and found out that the first two numbers I had were easy busy, or disconnected. 

the one that finally worked was 888-226-7277. 

The lady I spoke to was most pleasant, and business like. 

She asked the usual questions:

My name, registration number on boat, how to spell my name, birthday, reason for entering Canada, am I alone, name and birthday of my partner, were we bringing in any fruits or vegetables, firearms, tobacco etc. 

Then she gave me my number for the day and said have a nice day. 
Didn't take long at all.  Certainly no longer than when one goes by bridge or tunnel.  Except there was no waiting in line.

It seems that when you call in the first time in order to put your boat in the system it takes a little longer. 
They also keep track of individuals, not just boats.  Once the people and boats are in the system, it goes pretty quick.

I've been putting off going back since last year's experience, but I feel much better about it now.  I'm going again this Thursday to the south shore with our club. We'll see how it holds up.

I would make one suggestion when calling in, make sure that you have good cell reception and you can hear well in the wind. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390