Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:55:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

8/11

Started by Revtro, August 11, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I got out today because I wanted to keep my promise to take someone out and we caught fish ok, but I am way too sick.  I should have stayed home.  My daughter gave me a little summer cold as a gift.  Ain't she sweet?  Anyway...

Got out at 7, launched in Algonac in the North Channel.  On our first drift in the North Channel we only got one keeper, about 3lbs.  I moved into the South Channel and wanted to stop at San Souci, but there were two other boats on it, so I kept going.

I moved down to a seawall spot that's been good to me as of late and started catching them right away.  I probably got one about every other drift.  The best was about 5.5lbs.  She was a beauty.  Probably go a half dozen there.  Moved a little South to a shipwreck and got a couple, then decided to put my cameral down to see if there were much going on.  Here's where it got real interesting.

I watched the camera and saw a sandy bottom, with no fish activity.  Then I started to see the wood of the wreck and there was a big school of smallmouth all over the wood, holding tightly to it.  I counted 14 just on the one pass.  I'm sure the whole wreck was loaded with bass.  But I had a very hard time getting them to bite.  For some reason, they were real finicky.  But I knew they were there so I made several drifts and caught a few.  Only one was a solid keeper though, but I saw some good ones on the camera.  So kind of frustrated, we made another move.

There is a bridge I like to fish under but it has to have good current.  Today it didn't and the bass just weren't there.  I caught one short fish and moved on.  Figuring it was close to the time the moon would fully set, I went back to the seawalls to see if the fish would start biting.  On the first drift I got a 3lb Smallie.  Not bad.  But I really wanted my partner who had been struggling to get some fish.  He was really having a hard time with the deep stuff, so we went looking for easier fish to catch. 

I took him to a classic largemouth area in the North Channel and the bass were there in good numbers and easy to catch.  We probably boated an additional half dozen largemouth with the best going just under 3.  Lots of 2s and 2.5s and a few dinks. 

I was starting to really feel like crap so we headed home about 1.  All in all, we managed about a 17lb bag with about 20 total fish caught.  It wasn't a stellar day, but at least it was way better than Monday when the fish wouldn't bite at all.  It was good to see the channels start to turn on again.  I can't wait to get up in the river around Marine City and North very soon. 

My only regret today was being so sick and not figuring out how to get the bass on that wreck to bite.  Still lots to learn.  Time for Nyquil.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

mikballa

Very nice job tom hope we can get out next week i would love to have a day like you had today get weeeeeeell soon.... :D mike.. 

Skulley

Hope you're feeling better Tom. I know the wreck you're talking about. I'll be up there in the channels tomorrow. I'll let you know if they get hungary.

BD.                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

MSURoss

17lb is a stellar day in all the lakes I fish lol

fiker

Yeah, but on Clair, it's not even close to in the money.  That lake can really spoil you. 

If you don't catch over 20#'s and around 50 fish it's just not all that great of a day.

I'm not saying I do, but that guys that really know the lake do.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Too bad fishing isn't a cure for a cold. I like the camera for showing me I'm actually fishing where there are fish. Not so much when it shows me how many fish are there that I'm not catching. Before I got a camera, I was suspicious that was the case quite often though.

Love the channels fishing. Haven't done much of it for a couple years. Hope I can change that a little later this summer/fall. So... I guess it is good you anglers aren't catching all the bass. There should be a few left for me later!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.