Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:19:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Charging issues, need help

Started by mikesmiph, August 08, 2012, 11:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

Being a plumber, I know nothing of this stuff. I need help bad, and soon. Try to make this short. Got the the lake, went to use the t-motor, it would hardly turn. 24v Fortrex. checked the batteries, one dead. Next day, I plugged in the charger, it showed still the one battery with no power, even with the charger going. I figured it was a bad bank on the charger. I switched the leads from the charger. It still showed the SAME battery with 12 volts. On a whim, I checked the start battery, it showed dead. But everything works, and it starts fine. I bought a new 3 bank charger last night, just afraid to open it, in case its not the charger. Is it my tester? Why wont the one battery charge? I just replaced one battery, now I'm not so sure it was bad. I'm really lost here. If anyone can help, I'll be out at the boat trying to figure this out most of the day. My number is 810-394-1820. Thanks

bob o

dartag

you should have 12.5 or higher on each battery.  When you plug in the charger it should go up.  Mine shuts off at 15 volts.  As a last resort you can charge the batteries seperate with a regular charger. 

Waterfoul

Mike, you can give me a call today until 3:00 or so.  It sounds like a bad charger to me... you can check the charger output with a voltmeter.  Should read about 15 volts at the leads.

No way those batteries are bad yet.  You can always take them to an Autozone and they can load test them though.  You know I'll stand behind them too.

Mike  616-954-9822
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

ok so far. Bob is a genius. The old charger had a fuse broke off inside it. To save time, seeing how I had it anyway, I put in the new charger. Plugged it in and the charging bar lit up. Checked at each battery and still nothing at two of them. Half a charge on one. Nothing at the t-motor. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I sure wish I didnt live so far from everyone. Mike, I tried to call, you were busy. I'll have them put me on hold next time. I know you'll stand by the batteries. I dont think they are the issue here. Thanks for all the help so far guys. I think I'm getting closer to a fix. Dont you guys work? LOL

Cy

Mike,

Not sure what kind of batteries you have but it would be a good idea if possible to take the caps of the battery and check the water levels.  If they are low, below the cells, add distilled water, if they are empty get new batteries.  If your charger was over charging it might have boiled them dry.  If they have water in them I would consider a hydrometer test, it will test the amount of electrolyte in each cell.  If you have a bad cell then the battery will never take a charge.  The only way to find out if you have a bad cell is with a hydrometer.  It would so be a good idea to put each battery on a regular battery charger with a gauge on it.  That way you can tell if the battery is taking a charge and how many amps it's drawing if at all.  Also some automatic chargers, like mine, won't even start charging unless the battery has at least 4 or 5 volts, where a regular charger will charge with 0 volts.

Good Luck Mike.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net