Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

8/6 Channels

Started by Revtro, August 09, 2012, 11:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I got out into the channels with a new friend on Monday.  Wow, it sucked.  We found bait and fished a dozen or so areas I was sure would be loaded up with bass.  But it was a post frontal blue bird kinda day and the fish were just turned off.  I know because I put the camera down and saw the bass.  But we couldn't get them to bite to save our lives.  We managed a half dozen or so, plus some largemouth, but all in all it was a terrible day. 

We started in the South Channel fishing deep seawalls.  We fished right around the bait where the action was awesome a week prior.  We lost a couple big ones because they were barely getting the bait into their mouths.  After a while, we hadn't had a bite and started making our way up the South Channel hitting several spots with no bites at all.

We ended up in the Middle Channel and found fish and saw them on the camera.  And as I was watching a smallie swim by a GIANT Sturgeon swam by.  I quickly turned the camera and got to watch it swim away.  That was way cool.  It was like a giant swimming dinosaur. 

Anyway, we got a few light bites, but the bass were just noncommittal. That's the way it was all day.  So we stopped by a couple lake spots on the way home.  We managed a couple small ones, but overall it was a S L O W day.  I felt bad for my partner, but I guess every day can't be perfect out there.  It was humbling and reminded me that I still have much to learn. 

Gonna try again Saturday.  Hopefully it'll be better. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Sturgeon are dinosaurs to me! Amazing how blistering fast they have taken to the new manmade reefs! They were spawning on them while the crews were still making them! Lake St. Clair already has more sturgeon than the rest of the Great Lakes combined they believe. There's supposed to be 2 more manmade reef areas being made the next 2 years. No info on where yet.

I like being able to see the bass are there with the camera but not so much when I can see a bunch and I'm not getting bites... drats! You'll catch them next time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

todd postill

ya there has been some tough conditions lately a little bit of every kind of weather.hot to cold windy to rainy.no good week long stable conditions.good time to test and tune different techniques.as far as the new sturgeon spawning areas Marysville is one if the places.construction was suppose to start on the first of august but d.n.r shut project down.said there is still fish spawning in the area.we are putting in a 500' cantilevered fishing pier that runs parallel with the water.this is going to be a huge project.also a fish cleaning station and all new boat launches in the second phase.sorry to ramble on.s good luck fishing .going to try dumping grounds this weekend

fiker

There is a certain amount of restoration going along the shores of the Detroit River.  The sturgeon are believed to be spawning on some of their artificial reefs as well.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Revtro

Ok, I must be cut off from civilization.  What's this about artificial reefs?  This is the first I've heard of such things around here.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Revtro

Fascinating. I did a little investigation and found this really interesting article on the subject.
http://www.speroforum.com/a/YTANWGZRQT45/72284-Michigan-builds-artificial-reefs-to-preserve-native-fish-species

I had no idea this was going on.  I guess I have been in my little bubble too long.  LOL  I wonder if this is why I saw a NOAA Research Vessel in the Middle Channel all day Monday.  Very interesting stuff. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Yes. Probably. There is an awesome video from May of the new Middle Channel reefs (see below). While they were still working on part of it sturgeon were already swarming over it and trying to spawn (including with some of the divers! ;D). They already built two reefs in the Detroit River in 2004 and 2008 that sturgeon are using.

In the lower St. Clair channels, most of the sturgeon were crowding onto a tiny stretch of coal tailings incidentally dropped decades ago by coal tenders in the North Channel. Too many sturgeon with not enough spawning habitat. So they built the new Middle Channel reefs across the upper section next to Dickinson Island.

They (Michigan Sea Grant U of M - MSU, MDNR) are supposed to build 2 more reefs spots over the next two years. Last I asked, they weren't sure yet where so it is helpful to know it might be near Marysville. There are sturgeon already spawning up there near Lake Huron but I was not sure exactly where or how big of an area or areas it is. Since there are supposed to be more sturgeon in the Lake St. Clair - Detroit River system than the rest of the Great Lakes combined, I imagine more spawning grounds will help. They are also expecting some walleye, whitefish, Northern madtom catfish, mooneye and river redhorse suckers to use the reefs for spawning and habitat (PDF). The mooneye, madtom and redhorse are all threatened or endangered. I have caught only 1 mooneye ever on a crankbait many years ago by the lighthouses. It was 17 - 18 inches long.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.