Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2024, 11:23:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Crankbait Rod

Started by robhj, March 22, 2013, 05:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhj

I am looking at getting a rod specific for fishing crankbaits.  I have started doing more crankbaiting the last few years and have a lower gear ratio Shimano to put on it.  The rods I have recently checked out are the Shimano Mojo Bass Crankster 7'4"  medium glass rod and a Shimano 7' Clarus med-heavy graphite crankbait rod.  Just looking for feedback from those that have experience with either. Both rods are around $100 each.  I haven't noticed myself missing too many hooksets while using crankbaits on my other graphite rods, however, I did like the feel of the Mojo Bass Crankster and also liked that it was a little longer.  Do you guys feel glass rods offer significant advantages over the graphites for crankin? Most of the crankbaits I have thrown run 12-14' at the deepest, however, I am getting a few deeper (18-20+') to use more this year.

Thanks,
Rob

Manxfishing

Well
I think were in the same boat
I'm planning on throwing more cranks as well this year

I picked up a Kistler Helium Glass/composite 7'-6" Med on a sale for 149 this winter
And I own a Kistler Mag 6'-6" Glass/composite rod
I myself find there's a little more feedback with the glass, (or i can feel the crank wiggling better)

If Were planning on throwing deep cranks (18-20') I myself would be looking for a MH
To get that deep you'll have alot of line out, And I don't think the Med would give a good hook set

bigmojet

I have been using a st croix avid 7'6" mh with a moderateaction casting rod that seems to work nice for medium  cranks. I liked their mojo bass crankster but feels similar to what  i already have. Ill throw light cranks on spinning gear (avid) 7'6" medium fast with nanofil line works good.

Im looking for a heavy cranker as well

BIGSHOW

I got the 7'4" mojo crankster last week and threw it around yesterday. Felt good. Just gotta get some fish on to prove it out

gmetime24

For my bigger cranks I've been using the BPS crankin stic. I really like the feel of it and don't seem to miss many fish since I switched to this rod last season. It is a telescoping rod which doesn't bother me but some don't like that feature

markgoetsch

For my deep divers I use a 755CB (graphite/glass blend) from powell.  It's light and I can feel bites unlike some other CB rods where I don't know if it's a fish or a weed. 

bassinman#1

I use the Skeet Reese yellow crankbait rod, excellent bend and hardly lose a fish, they have some on clearance at Walmart in Hartland for 69.00

Team houston

How long is that 755CB Mark?

customfishn

I prefer the 7'6" or 7'11" Lew's Crankbait rods.  The newer longer rods really give you the leverage to throw crankbaits a mile.  Even with the 7'11" I can throw a pretty small crankbait

djkimmel

I've been using graphite rods for cranking for 7 or 8 years now. There's so much more technology and action choices available now from rod companies.

I've been using the American-made, lifetime warranty Grandt Rods C10 (for big shallow cranks), C09 (for smaller and small shallow cranks) - both 7' graphite - and since last year, most of my regular cranking is now with their C76M All American graphite rods 7' 6" designed for lots of crankbaiting options. I like the longer rods for anything on bigger water where I'm making longer casts.

Grandt also makes fiberglass composite rods specifically for crankbait fishing too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.