Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 08:04:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

well??!!?!?!?

Started by thedude, April 28, 2007, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedude

lets hear it. how was your opener?

A buddy and i hit muskegon lake bright and early. Pleasantly surprised when the fog cleared right when we got to the ramp. We started out trolling the pierheads looking for some steel or browns with no luck - figuring the bass wouldn't be on a hot morning bite. Had one rip but no one home. Headed back into the lake and found some dirty water and all we could find is a giant bait eater that for all intents and purposes must've been 2 tons of curled rebar.... :(

We moved to the south shore into a spot where we did well last year on the opener and it paid off again. On my 3rd cast i nailed a nice 18" smallie on a flat-sided bomber. We continued on that stretch and picked up 6 more keeper LMs on jigs. Also had a break-off and several misses. We moved from there onto a shallow flat and picked up 2 more keeper on jerkbaits and 1 more that came unbuttoned.

finished the day up with a bonus 21" walleye that nailed the same flat-sided bomber.

All in all the fish we found were pretty aggressive. i was pleased with myself since most my fish came on a cranks and jerkbaits which i need to throw a lot more. Plus it was the first smallie from muskegon lake i've gotten. walleye for dinner tomorrow night too ;)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

Well, here's my horror story.  Got up sick, so should've taken the sign.  Drove the 2 hrs. to Hardy Dam, launched with no incident.  Are you supposed to pay the $6 fee, because we didn't?  Worked around in the fog for a good 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, no idea where or what we were doing.  Found a warm cove and partner Tcook got a smallie.  Went up river and found a large group, so started throwing around them.  T gets on a big smallie, I'm trying to get the net out from under his tackle bag, which weighs like 100 lbs. easy, when my finger gets caught in the side and almost rips my nail off.  Know whats it's like to bend your pinky nail back onto the top of your finger?  Well now I do.  By the way, about 5 lbs. was a nice smallie for him while I'm shaking like crazy.  Go back to the stump field, or what we think was a stump field, catch a lot of pike.  Go back to the island he caught the big one at, run out of gas!!! :-[  Are you kidding me??  That means I get about 3 miles per gallon!!  That's bad news.  So the next hour is pent with tmotor on high working back to launch, where T catches another, thoroughly skunking me.  Guess I deserve it after the day.  Maybe better luck next time, maybe I'll just jump over at the beginning of the trip to get the karma off.  Anyone do good at Hardy that had a full tank of gas?? :'(
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Skulley

Got up this morning....Raining catz and dogz.  Decided to go to work for 4 hours and make time and a half.  I like $$$$$.  Got off of work and went to my local boat supply store to purchase a new trailer jack for the boat trailer.  Put that on and decided to tinker around and repair some other minor stuff on the trailer.  It has not had any TLC....so it got a little.  Went to my son's basketball game at 2:30.  Came home and was a little tired so I decided to hug the couch for a while and watch the Wings and Pistons.  Decided to head out to the lake when it started raining again.  Never uncovered the boat today...........but I am ready for tomorrow.  My daughter and I are planning to go to LSC weather permitting otherwise maybe somewhere inland like Kent or Thompson.

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

thedude

hardy was my 2nd choice today and i about changed my mind about goin to muskegon when i saw the fog warnings last night and the 15* lower temp forecast being on the lakeshore.... glad we went though... sounds like hardy woulda been good too. I usually do well up in the river (the pic in my avatar was taken at an FOM tourney there in 05 .. smallest smallie in that pic was 18" )

Palehorse Custom Rods

OUTLAW

I caught 18lbs of largies off beds today! You gotta love being able to get to the fish no one else can get to.

Thanks You Gator Trax!

nitrobass

Went out of Elisabeth park rode down to the Banana Dike and caught a couple of dinks  than  I decided to just scout different areas that looked promising.

Waterfoul

Fished Hardy from about 7:30 to early afternoon.  We caught a total of 21 pike... all sub-legal.  Had one steel my gold Husky Jerk by banging it's head on the side of my boat and popping open the snap on the leader!  darn fish had it's mouth hooked shut too... so I'm guessing it will soon be dead.  My partner had a big fish bite thru his 30 lb braid and steal his 9$ X-rap though...

We then went to Fremont Lake to try for some eyes... got one nice smallie on a crank (using my new cranking stick) and that was it.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

I thought about getting out on Hardy Saturday but Orlando Jon and I went to Croton instead.  I am glad we missed the Pike-fest going on there.  We fished the Little Muskegon and picked a few non-keeper smallies, I think one keeper and I tagged a nice large mouth full of eggs.  We fished from about 2 to 7 PM.  All and all not a bad day.

This morning we fished Brooks Lake for about 2.5 hours and picked up a couple 12" to 14".  Typical for Brooks.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

fowlmouth

Went out saturday for a couple hours on Sanford, couldn't find the fish. I have never seen the current that strong in Sanford, went to one of my normal spots and my TM could'nt make way against the current! The water looked like chocolate milk, I feel sorry for all those people in the walleye tourney down stream.

This morning my son and I trailered up river, we checked wixom, smallwood and finally settled on Secord. Surface temp was 62 so we started looking for beds, nothin. Caught a few on spinnerbaits working the banks, ended up finding a creek with a lot of wood. While working the banks of the creek we noticed something busting baitfish on the surface, tied on a Spook and got hit immediatley.

I didn't really expect topwater this early, but just had to get the frogs out. We had a field day! my 7 year old was having trouble getting hooked up but did all right. We ended up with 8 fish over 2lbs and several dinks, nice to be back out on the water.

1javelin

Went out on Paw Paw this morning for a few hours, found a couple pike, no bass though, unless the fish the size of the senko it was trying to eat counts.  Guess it's one of those times of year where they are still hard to catch.  Water temp was only in the low 50's to start, mid 50's by late afternoon.  I need a few jerkbaits in a different color that I can throw.  Maybe time to talk ma into letting me shop!! ;D

rustydog

Live on Wixom so knew how fast that was so decided to run up to Sugar Springs. I have only been on the water once in my life and that had to be at least 15 years ago. We wound up with 16- 18 largemouth. About 18 or 19 lbs top five. Probably more if my kid wasn't so stuborn and would of put on a jig. General principles is ok until your down 14 to 2. Always has been stubborn.

thedude

smallie from sat - just pulled it off my phone.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Andy

Genie

For those of you that went to Hardy or Croton - what was the water temp?
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

1javelin

Started around 52, found some 57, but the fish we caught were still deep and on the drop points.

Cy

Croton was averaging 53 - 55 degrees.  The large mouths that were out of the current were stacking up on the banks but they weren't really interested in feeding.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Genie

Any smallies cruising around yet?
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Cy

Genie,

Not that I could tell, but didn't fish the main lake very much.  The river was too muddy to see much.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

motocross269

Only got out for about an hour on Lakeville lake in the middle of the day.  Basically just wanted to check my boat out after making some adjustments.
I took my wife and daughter with me and we went into a wind swept cove with some pretty deep water in it.  It looked to me like the baitfish were being blown in there pretty heavy.  They caught about 10 slab crappie and i couldn't keep the hammer handles off of my lures.  We only fished for about an hour and left.  No bass and I didn't really go looking for beds.  Water temperature was in the Mid 50s.  Boat ran great and it was a beutiful day.