Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Ideal Shakey Head Rod

Started by TCook, July 02, 2007, 04:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCook

What rod should I buy for shakey heads? I am about to purchase the G Loomis SHR 822 on ebay for $175, is this a good buy or is there a cheaper substitute? Is this an IMX blank it does not say on the Loomis site? I am asuming what you look for in a shakey head rod is the ex fast tip or does it not matter?

T
FISH HARD!!!

caseman

Do your self a favor and go to South Street Tackle and ask to look at their Powell rod line, Powell makes a rod for shakey head for 169.00 and a life time warranty.

bob620

Caseman,
             How does the Powell rods stack up against Loomis and
stcroix rods quaility.To be honest with you I have never heard of them  before.Where is south street tackle located,I'm a east sider located in Sterling Hts. Thanks for any in info.

Bob690

CuradoKev

I've got a Loomis SHR 822 and love it, however the Powell rods are sweet !!!

Friend of mine has a bunch of Powell rods and its nice to see some of the custom things like split grips on the Powell rods.

I've got my Loomis paired with 8lb. Sunline Shooter and it works well.

Either way you'll be happy and try some of the Picasso Luke Clausen Shakedown heads, they are expensive but they are SWEET !!!! Better than Bite-Me jigheads by a long shot..

Either rod should work well for you...

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

Bender

I have been using this rod so far this year: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58972_100002006_100000000_100002000_100-2-6
I use the handle #4 in 7'4" paired with a Calcutta 50 reel and 6 lb. Halo floro. This rig has been my hot ticket for the year so far, but I will warn you that the rig is VERY heavy compared to my others. I bought it for drop shotting but I don't do that much anymore. I do like the handle for feel and it is stable for hooksets.
The Loomis rods feel great, but for the $ I can't bring myself to do it yet. I like my Fenwicks and next up for me are some customs from down south, for less than half the price of GLXes(not sure what blanks he is using, have to ask). Of the rods I have not tried firsthand Airrus will be next. Never tried Powells either though, but I have heard good things about them and Falcons.
AHHH! too many to choose from!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

TCook

I am going to buy the loomis since it is $45 cheaper. Ckev do you know if the shr 822 is an IMX blank?
FISH HARD!!!

BryanP

The Loomis SHR is one of the new "blend" graphites.  Loomis is getting away from the old IMX/GL3/GL2 designations, and instead using a blend of these graphites to produce the desired actions/tapers for their technique specific rods.  I will say that the Mossybacks (worm/jig, senko rods) and the Shaky Head rods fish a lot like IMX and have great feel.  And it makes sense since these rods are for presentations that require a lot of "feel", and therefore are likely built using higher modulus graphites (whereas the crankbait rods are more GL3).  I have the SHR822 and it's very sensitive, and actually a good rod for a variety of finesse presentations, including drop shotting.  You won't be disappointed!

yukonjack2

I tried the Shimano Crucial series rods ($120 and a lifetime warranty) for dropshotting - love em.  I went with a 6'9" ex fast tip, good backbone with 8 lb halo - been the ticket on LSc thus far - handles the 4 lb smallie and occasional muskie - NP .  The real bonus was using it for Shakeyheads as well.  I got mine at bass pro due to proximity, but cabelas carries them as well.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

TCook

I dont think I will be disapointed, never have been with a loomis. I just love the feel of the IMX rods but couldnt pass up a deal on the SHR. I just hope this graphite blend is as sensative as the IMX, I probably should have checked it out in a store. I do own a mossyback and the DSR820S and love them both. So I think I made the right buy after reading your guys feedback. Thanks for the insight guys, it was very helpful. I see that alot of you guys use the shimano stradic MgFH, I currently use the stradic FH. What is the difference and is it worth the extra $$?

T
FISH HARD!!!

GAMEOVER

Whats your price range? I highly recommend the Megabass F3-610X Hien which isnt too expensive and its a very fun rod to fish.

Mojo

I guess Im wondering the difference in an Avid or a Crucial ? Anyone have both or tried both ? I havent ventured into the $170 + range for rods yet. This Crucial is my drop shot rod and Im having a hard time putting it down in the channels on LSC ! Love it ! Except Im twitching Mc Carter Special Gobies. Can I put a shaky head on the bottom weighted and float a goby above ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

GAMEOVER

Im telling you take a look at the Hien at megabass.com.

The base Destroyer rods are a good way to get you into the companys offerings but if you want the absolute best I ask you to look at their Evoluzion (Sensitivity), Orochi (Big game/Bigger lures), and Tomahawk (Crank sticks etc) series.

Hooksetter

The only spinning reels I use are Stradic 2500MgF's. I think they are the all around best. They are extremely light, dependable, smooth and cast a country mile. I have been using them since they were introduced and in my opinion they are they best. Well worth the money.

If you are not in a hurry, you might want to wait until this winter to buy a few. I read somewhere [ I can't remember where, maybe someone else can confirm this] that Shimano is upgrading their complete line of spinning reels for 2008. If that is true you should be able to save some money on the closeout sales this winter for all the old reels, including the MgF.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

TCook

I use the stradic 2500, what is the difference between the 2500 and the 2500mfg. I have no complaints with the regular stradic is it really worth the extra $.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Hooksetter

The biggest difference is the weight. The MgF has a magnesium frame. I think it may also be a little smaller overall. It also has a shallow spool, it will only hold about 85 yards of 8# Halo.

I've had CTR surgery on both of my hands and also have arthritis in both hands so the lighter the better for me.

If you are going to be at the  DK Open I will let you use one and you can decide before you buy.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.