Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2024, 09:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Lake St. Clair late September

Started by Bassky, July 05, 2007, 08:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassky

Planning a trip up to Lake St. Clair in late september. Is this a good time to hit the smallmouth or is later better? Also looking for a place to stay, launch a boat, etc. Never been there. Also some good patterns, lures and areas if you can.
Catch and Release only, unless we catch some perch or walleye!
Thanks,
Dave

Bassky
Dave
A Fisher of Men and Fish
Born Again Christian
Catch and Release Always...
except walleye and crappie!

WayneC

Hi Dave:  Late September can be very good but it does get you close to a time where the bass fishing gets into a transition to fall.  Essentially, you'll be looking at the last part of the summer bite as long as the weather stays steady.  There's just no way to predict how it will be for sure at this point in time. 

So far we are having a hot to normal summer which is always good for the fishing.  Limits and average weights are up, up, up for this point in the season.  That trend should run all the way to the end.

For some of your heaviest limits you'll probably be looking for spots up in the St. Clair River.  For average limits you can go to the Lake and do OK.  It just depends on what kind of trip you are trying to have.

There are accomodations from camping, hotels and cottages.  It really depends on what you are looking for.  I know of a cottage that rents out weekly on Harsen's Island if you are interested, give me a call (248) 280-2507.

The best news is that the fishing in the St. Clair River Channels is pretty consistent then.  You can hide and fish well during rough weather.

Bassky

Cottage on Harsen's Island. Is this in Canada? How many people can it accomodate? Is this close to the St. Clair River and channels?
Thanks,
Bassky
Dave
Bassky
Dave
A Fisher of Men and Fish
Born Again Christian
Catch and Release Always...
except walleye and crappie!

Skip Johnson

Dave
wayne hit it on the head the fish will be transitioning and it might be a bit tough but you should still find some quality fish, if the place on harsons island has a boat well you couldnt ask for a better or nicer location to be based from.
in the future if you realy want to tear up some smallmouth on st clair try all of may till the end of july with june being about best in my oppinion.
if you want pm me when you get here and I will try to share some info with you if you need help, fishing the river is a bit different and almost impossible to learn good until you understand it so its best if a local points you in the right direction so you dont drive right over and past the fish.
waynes very good on st clair maybe he will share something with you too.
Go Big or Go Home!

WayneC

Hi Dave: Sorry I didn't see your post until now but to answer your question, the cottage is a house on Harsen's Island that is on the North Channel, directly across from the Algonac DNR launch.  This is in U.S. water and puts you very close to the split between the North and South Channels.  This gives you a lot of options to run.  Especially in inclement weather.  Contact me directly if you want details. 

kensho

So it's the middle of Sept -- where are they biting?