Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2024, 11:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Back from Lake Leelanau

Started by TheFishinPollock, September 10, 2007, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFishinPollock

Well the report on the fishing was fantasticccccccccccc.  The report on the boat is not. After wating most of the summer for LU parts, Either the coil or the kill switch  went. Had the boat running a half hour before blast off. Go to blast off, it won't start.  >:( Had to stay in sight of the launch to not be late.  Fished a tourny there sunday. Lots of big bass . Bunchas of limits of 7 and 6 fish per boat. Winning weight was 29lbs. and some change. We took 3rd with 22.09 . I went out fishing sat before, but left my spots alone so I didn't put hooks in mouths I wanted for the next day. Instead I fished for perch. Got some beatiful fish too. Biggest was 11 inches and about a pound. Actually caught them practicing my drop shotting. Fished the north lake for the perch and got the bass off a point by Little Finger Beach in a hour flat . From 8 to 9 . Then it was like a switch and the fish stopped biting. That report came in from around the lakes. About 20 minutes after that happend the wind picked right up and a front pushed through. Finaly , on the water proof of how a front affects the fishing. The water temps were in the low 70's aroudn the lake. The fishing should be pickin up after this week's weather. Cold and windy . The fall feed should be picking up after all that passes through. Hope some of ya can get up here for the fishing in the TC area.

Matt
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Dan

Haven't fished up there for a while. How deep are you fishing up there. Are the smallies up on the flats or on the edges of those points? I have always done the best in the south lake when I have been up there in the fall. The north lake in June has been good to me but mid summer the both lakes have been very tough. I have a classic up on Duck and Green the 22 and 23 of Sept. Hopefully this cool weather gets the fish feeding.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

TheFishinPollock

Dan- During practice I was targeting schooled fish on points and in the 25 foot range along secondary dropoffs. During the tourny  we were forced, by the broke boat, to fish points and insides of curl points right at the 10 foot drop and weedline. Mostly tossing spinnerbaits and some wobble cranks.

Matt
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Dan

Did your group take off from the narrows or the campground on the south lake?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

TheFishinPollock

We took off from the Leelanau RV Park.   They use to come outa the narrows, but theres too many boats now a days. Plus ya got a great facility for the weigh-in trailer, parking, and camping. Plus the local resident's all come out for the weigh-in. Makes it feel like one of them big show tournys.  :D If ya comne up to practice on that lake this fall. Contact me . I'll runn into ya out there
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Dan

Thanks Matt,
Have you ever fished Charlevoix this time of year? I have been up there several times in September and the lake seems devoid of fish. Do you have to get deeeeeeeeeep up there this time of year. It would seem they would be up on some of those flats that are all around the lake but, two different years several days both times and not much to show for it.

TCook

Matt,

Me and my partner will be there the 28th and 29th this month. I was wondering if you might be willing to help us since we never been on leelanau before?

Tim
FISH HARD!!!

TheFishinPollock

Dan-  I have been there in the fall and it's kinda like fishing Leelanau. 2 different lakes  in the same chain .  I fish alot down by Boyne City on them flats areas and points.  I mainly toss spinnerbaits looking for active fish.   I have a hard time slowing down.   I find them all over the lakes on isolated pockes of cover. Mostly on the north side of North Char lake..   The south is basicly a river channel flodded out some.  I don't find many deep and with the weather this week . The water temps should drop down into the middle to high 60's . I'm guessing the fall feed should be cranking up in the next two weeks.  When they just hit anything ya toss in front of them after a front goes through and the baramoter settles down .   Now that I got the boat back from the shop today . I'll be off for a few days and out on the lakes I have not fished yet this year, seeing how the fall feeds are starting up. I intend to hit Waloon and Charlovoix.  I need to get back to Leelanau to find the rod that fell outa my pops hand when  it caught on the backcast and the line snapped sending it flying outa his hand.

TCook-  You might actually runn into me out on Leelanau. I have that rod to find and I really like fishing that north lake for  what I know are some monster sized smallies. I'd fish points on both lakes. If ya find a clump of stuff on North lake . Fish it good.  There's not a lota cover on that lake and they stick to it when they find it.    On the south lake  theres huge weedbeds everywhere. Ya just pick one with good drop offs near  and  fish the snot outa it. I always start lookign for active fish and mentaly mark spots I see Schools of fish and go back to that spicifi area.  Across from Little finger beach and Rv park is where we won  our tourny at. We jsut got luckey and found a school of fish that were feeding hard  before the front swept through.   Good luck to you guys and liek I said  . Might runn into eachother out there
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc