Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 07:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Bass fishing rods

Started by MSfishslayer, March 22, 2010, 06:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buying new set of rods what would you buy

mojo Bass Rods
Skeet Reese Signature
Lamiglas Competitor
Fenwick HMG
Shimano Compre
Other

MSfishslayer

Ok Im in the market for a new set of bass fishing rods. For these techniques. Drop shot, Tubes, Cranking, Spinners, And General purpose. My brother told me to buy a set of Mojo bass rods. He just bought a few and they feel really nice. He said he paid around 100$ each. That is right in my price range Im looking to buy 4 or 5 rods each for it's own technique. I am new to this so I could use some help. Above is a list of rods I have looked at on line and all fit in my price range what would you buy and why. Thanks

mikesmiph

My humble advise? Get with MadWags and buy Grandt rods. You'll never be sorry. Best guarantee in the industry.

csfishslayer

I already told you my vote go's to the mojo bass rod. cant beat it for the money most of the rods cost 100$ they have a 5 year warranty. And have a rod for every technique. If you wanna barrow a few of mine and try them out your more then welcome. I also have the Skeet Reese Spinner bait rod which I think makes a better crank bait rod, But your more then welcome to check them out.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

Cheetam

I haven't used any of those rods so I can't make a recommendation for or against any of them, but if you are looking at rods that list for @ $100 one rod you might look into is the Falcon BuCoo line.  They have american made blanks, fuji components and are built in the USA.  I haven't used that one either, but the fact it has an american-made blank and built right here in the USA is reason enough to check them out.
Jeff

dartag

I asked the same question 2 years ago and you will find eveyone has there favorites.  You will need to find what works for you. There are some guys on the site that are prostaff guys. ( not me )  You can ask to try some out.   I am sure they will take care of you.   I found Powell rods work well for me.  they are about 135.00 though. 

billy8878

I like the Mojo rod myself, good quality rod for the money.

Hooksetter

I have not used any of the rods you have listed in your poll so I can't comment on any of them.

My only advise would be to buy the best [lightest, most sensitve, best warranty] rod that you are comfortable with. In my opinion the rod is the most important part of the puzzle [rod, line, reel]. I would rather have an above average rod and an average reel than vice versa.

Thats just me, I'm sure there are people that would disagree.

Good luck in your search.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

MadWags

Grandt Rods is the official sponsor of Greatlakesbass.com
The warranty is unconditional lifetime and it follows the rod even if you sell it.

I can recommend rods for any application or check out this thread http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

Your pricing is as follows
http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=5180.0

Or read any of the informative threads on Grandt Rods contained within this site.
http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?board=65.0
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Bender

Of those you have listed I only have the HMG, and I really like it. I did break it last year and it was replaced by Fenwick under warranty and it was 3-4 years old. The one I've heard good things about is the Lamiglass one, but I wouldn't know where to go check one out. I think the Mojos are good in that range and offer a wide variety of rods. And for that price it wouldn't hurt to check out the Grandts, that's a big discount.

I like your idea of sticking with one manufacturer too.

- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

LipRip

i bought a mojo bass at the beginning of last season and loved it. I bought two more for this season!

Lightningboy

I'm pretty much done buying factory rods; I make all my own now.  Started out as a way to get a better rod for less money.  Eventually it became a way to make what for me is a better performing rod.  Between the markup from the component manufacturerers & the rod companies, rods today are way over priced for what they cost to make.  I get a 40% discount from one rod making supplier; they couldn't afford that if they weren't still making at profit after my discount.

I'm gonna politely disagree about buying all your rods from one company.  Most companies get a few rod designs just right.  If possible, I choose to build on those blanks that have a well designed action for the job.

Rod design is kinda backwards from other products.  The leading edge of rod design is with custom builders, not the factories.  I've been buying/building rods with no foregrip/split rear grip for over 10 years.  Kistler was the first to market one that way, and it wasn't that many years ago.

I'll admit my rods aren't for everyone.  Most traditionalists wouldn't drop $$ for them by looks.  No foregrip, split rear grip.  Drill the trigger for a hook holder.  Spiral guides too.  This year I'm also experimenting with micro guides.  The end result is very light & sensitive.  I just took a 7 foot MH crank rod out of the dryer last night.  Completed rod weighs in at just under 3.75 oz.  Total price for parts/supplies was $85.

I also get peace of mind from knowing exactly how that rod was made.  I'm putting together a replacement handle right now for Bender.  It's going on a Kistler.  There was actual masking tape bushings under the real seat.  No wonder he said it felt dead.

Look at it from a business perspective.  The rod company has to put out $$ for components, supplies, and labor.  All decisions on components and building methods must consider cost for the company to stay alive.  I'm not hindered by those costs.  I use the components I choose based on performance, and can take as much time as I want to be picky while building it.

Besides, gotta do something while the water's hard.   ;D

Bender

Ken, that does make sense about not getting them all from one company. I just counted 18 brands of rods I have and I thought it would be nice if there was more commonality. For me I spent a lot on drop shot rod but very little in comparison for a BPS Crankin' stick which I am really happy with. If I was buying all new rods it's hard to say what I would do.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

LAPORTE

My self I really like the Powell rods (nice and light ) I have several of them along with Loomis's that I purchased used. The Grandt rods are nice as well. The only Shimano  rod I have is a crucial it's nice but a bit heavy in weight. The powells are about 139.00 ea and you know the story on the loomis rods .... IMX I think start at 245.00 ea

If I had to pick one of the ones listed above more that likely the Shimanno would be the one. Just because you can go to cabelas and get another quickly.

Sorry I can't help out more. But If im ever out on the lake and you see me,  let me let me know and you can check out any rod on the boat to see if you like it.

Don L 
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Got Fish??

BassPro extreme rod gets my vote. It is in my price range and compares to most high end rods on the market. It is around $100.00,  go's on sale for $65.00 in the winter and at the spring sale in March.

Waterfoul

Quote from: LAPORTE on March 23, 2010, 09:55:06 AM

My self I really like the Powell rods (nice and light ) I have several of them along with Loomis's that I purchased used. The Grandt rods are nice as well. The only Shimano  rod I have is a crucial it's nice but a bit heavy in weight. The powells are about 139.00 ea and you know the story on the loomis rods .... IMX I think start at 245.00 ea

If I had to pick one of the ones listed above more that likely the Shimanno would be the one. Just because you can go to cabelas and get another quickly.

Sorry I can't help out more. But If im ever out on the lake and you see me,  let me let me know and you can check out any rod on the boat to see if you like it.

Don L 

But the Crucial series weigh half what a St. Croix Mojo rod does.  I have found the Mojo rods to be a little bit tip heavy, especially when compared to a Crucial.

Mojo rods are definitely a good rod for $100 though.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

Man, I am surprised at how many of you like the Mo-Jo,  I picked one up and set it right back down, way to heavy....I guess I have been spoiled by Kistler.

I would buy a $40 berkley before I would spend money on mo-jo's,  Grandt rods are not bad, but still a bit heavy.  Bass pro rods are good for the price, but...I have a boat full of Kistlers and I love them.

http://kistlerrods.com/    or you can get a deal on them at: http://myworld.ebay.com/simmonssportinggoods/

MSfishslayer

Thank you all for the input. I never new how much a rod Differs from the next you guys have really helped. I will really do my research now before I buy a rod. Go spend a day at bass pro checking them all out. 

bigjc

Quote from: MSfishslayer on March 25, 2010, 06:51:10 PM
Thank you all for the input. I never new how much a rod Differs from the next you guys have really helped. I will really do my research now before I buy a rod. Go spend a day at bass pro checking them all out. 

Bottom line is go with what feels good to you.  Todays rods are far more sensitive than rods just a few years ago, good luck on your search.  The more you fish different techniques, you will find that you like certain rods for certain techniques.

peters_skeeter

I have 9 of the mojo rods. Love em. They are a nice rod for the money. Can't comment on the rest of them cause I don't own them. The best thing to do is try out the reel that you want on each rod at the store. What I like about the mojo is i matched it up with a shimano citica, and it has a real low profile that is easy to palm. I wish they would come out with a short spinning rod with a fast action for skippin. That would be nice.
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

Savage

I have a few of the Mojo rods and have no complaints, but I've recently bought a couple Powells and I am in love with them.  Very light and sensitive, with a lifetime guarantee.  I'm hooked.  The Powells are nice too if you are looking at technique specific because they list suggested techniques on the rod like the Mojo rods do, but the nice thing with Powell is that most rods list a few techniques.  I think they are a bit more versatile and DEFINITELY alot lighter.  They cost a bit more but you get what you pay for with anything, right?  They have everything from cranking to flippin sticks.  I saw one on [REMOVED - see No Links Policy List] that is for spooks/rattletraps.  I gotta have that one.....
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks