Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 09:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Onboard battery chargers....looking for help in choosing one

Started by Mike S., July 27, 2010, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

With my boat upgrade, came many batteries.  I am sick of the hassle of runing 2 chargers for my trolling motor batteries.  I am interested in the MinnKota chargers....mainly because of the price.  I haven't looked into any others.  I like the MK210, but I'm thinking about throwing another battery in the boat for my electronics, so the MK315 is sticking out, too.  Do any of you run either of these, or a MK charger for that matter?  What do you think of them? Durable?  Worth the money?  Or, what do you run, and how do you feel about it?  Your opinions have influenced several of my fishing purchases, so let's hear what you've got to say.  Thanks.

markgoetsch

I have the 4 bank and its worked great so far.  The only thing I can recommend is that if you plan on running optimas they can only be charged at a max of 10amps.

Mike S.

That is why I was looking at the 210 or 315.  2 or 3 banks at 5 amps per bank.  They have longer recovery times, but I don't need to hyper charge my batteries anyways.  How long have you had your charger?

Dan

It's my opinion that the Stealth Charging System is the best of the best. Danny, the owner, gives you fantastic support that can't be beat.

http://www.stealth1charging.com/
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

markgoetsch

I've had it for a little over a year and it can take a beating.  I fish about 5 days a week on lake erie so lots of charging and lots of pounding.

thedude

i've had a dual pro for 7 years and its still runs like a champ - 3 bank, 10 amp ea i think.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I have a year or two old Minn Kota 210.  I have been really happy with it.  I had Dual Pro before that died.  I think the Minn Kota puts a better charge on the batteries then my Dual Pro did.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

5 amps per bank? You're talking about a charger not designed for overnight charging of deep cycle batteries with any serious use on them if that is correct?

Deep cycle battery experts I have talked to over the years say 10 amps per cycle isn't really sufficient for full size deep cycle batteries. They've told me we should be charging at 15 amps minimum. That's what I've been doing for a long, long, long time because they know their batteries.

I'm surprised to hear Optima only can be charged at 10 amps? Why is that I wonder? I have seen that different types of batteries have voltage limitations, but had not heard before of amp limitations.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Eric

When I swapped out my 24 V TM for a 36, I got a MK440.  Early this summer, I lost a bank on it, so I called, sent it in, and they sent me back a MK460.  I really liked the 440, but really, really like the 460.  The 15 amps per bank is amazingly fast.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

REEL_MAN

I use delco voyager batteries and have charged at 15 A per bank using the dual pro for years and from talking to others I get an additional year out of my batteries. 15A per bank is the only way to charge.

REELMAN
<))))>{

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Hooksetter

I had a Guest 3 bank 15 amp per bank in my Stratos. I got 5 good years out of my OEM batteries with that charger. The charger lasted 7 years before it fried. I replaced it with same charger, it was about $325.00 if memory serves. I had no complaints or problems and it would charge the batteries FAST!

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

REEL_MAN

2 bank dual pro when I need to replace I'll go to minnkota 345

Skulley

I got the 3 bank Minn Kota that charges at 15 amps per bank.  I have had Dual Pro's.  In the last 8 years I have replace two of those.  The last time it was time to try something different so I tried the Minn Kota.  So far, so good.  If it lasts more than 4 years then I would have gotten my money's worth.

BD              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Puma

I've been running a Dual Pro 3 bank "charge on the run" for over 15 years in 3 different boats.  Had one small issue once, (seemed a bit noisy) years ago and they replaced it, no questions asked.

SethV

I have a 4-bank dual pro.  It has been ok - replaced once under warranty.  I also submerged it (along with everything else in the boat) once and it didn't work for a day or so, but then dried out and has worked fine for a year since then - so they are not totally waterproof.

Seth

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

Seth has a Ranger that sometimes fills in (up) as a submarine. He is the only angler I know that has a parascope mounted on the console.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

Not a confidence-making device when I see it on a boat... but having been once referred to as 'the U-boat commander' with my old, old, old truck... I can sympathize.