Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 24, 2024, 12:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

What kind of reels should I use

Started by Frank, November 05, 2009, 01:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I currently have 9 shimano stradic 4000's all types.  I am constantly having to have them repaired.  problems ranging from blowing out the anti-reverse, the bail not flipping, even stripping the gears out completely.  I use fireline and don't want to change that.  I also don't give the fish a chance and just horse them up, which i would also not like to change.  Is there anything out there at a reasonable price that is more durable?  I thought about shimano fire blood, but i have seen no reviews on them.  is it a shimano problem, meaning should I change brands?  I cant afford stella's or certate's.  Any suggustions would be helpful.  or if someone was interested in exchanging to another brand maybe.  thank you for your input.

motocross269

I have 6 Shimano Stradic 2500s that I have used for the last 3 years with no real issues...I notice they come from the factory a little dry so I oil them right out of the box..
Shimano has that new CI4 out with the Carbon Fiber body..I haven't tried one yet but that will be my new purchase for the year..I don't know if they are anymore durable though...
Just like the Ford/Chevy debate you will probably get quite a few different answers, by all means if I was having bad luck with a brand I would switch....
I have a couple of Daiwa Sols that I haven't been too impressed with..They work fine, but seem to be more prone to line twist than the new Stradics...

BryanP

Actually I've found just the opposite--I love the TD Sol.  Personally, I think the Shimano's twist line worse than any reel out there.  I have 3 seasons on my TD Sol's and Fuego's, and even more on the older TDS's and never had any problems.  And I'm about the worst there is when it comes to reel maintenance--I don't think I've ever cleaned or lubed a spinning reel (or even had them cleaned)!

matt

If you are stripping out gears you are doing something wrong.It ain't the reel,it's the operator.Try setting your drag correctly and stop horsing in your catch.Stradics are some of the better reels on the market right now.

I watch people try and horse in 10-20 pound carps on the bank and the noise those reels make while they are trying to reel in their catch while it's pulling drag just sickening.Then they wonder why their reels don't last.

If you don't use it correctly chances are any reel you buy and use will wear out just the same.

I wouldn't be surprise if you are breaking a few rods under that pressure as well.Using braids are notorious for that happening.

Jighead

Quote from: matt on November 05, 2009, 02:17:41 PM
If you are stripping out gears you are doing something wrong.It ain't the reel,it's the operator.Try setting your drag correctly and stop horsing in your catch.Stradics are some of the better reels on the market right now.

I watch people try and horse in 10-20 pound carps on the bank and the noise those reels make while they are trying to reel in their catch while it's pulling drag just sickening.Then they wonder why their reels don't last.

If you don't use it correctly chances are any reel you buy and use will wear out just the same.

I wouldn't be surprise if you are breaking a few rods under that pressure as well.Using braids are notorious for that happening.
This is kind of what I was thinking.  I can't afford the Stradics so I use the Symmetres.  I've had some of them for 5+ years of pretty heavy use and have never had a problem.

If you want to continue with the braid and horsing the fish, maybe go with Penn.  I don't know what kind of gears they have, but they're heavy and they look like they're built like tanks.

Either that, or switch over to baitcasters.  They're better known for heavy line applications and winching the fish in like you want to do.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

djkimmel

I've been happy with the Pflueger President spinning reels for durability. I think they are underpriced compared to other reels. I haven't bought many new ones in the past few seasons so I'm going by reels that are 4 to 6 years old in general and still working. I use them for finesse fishing and short line flipping and pitching of lighter baits into cover. I used P-Line HALO a lot when doing that too though I have some P-Line Spectrex for dock fishing and things like stick worms over weeds.

Braid and fused superlines are tough on spinning reels. The shock with snags and hooksets can damage the gears if the spools turns back hard against the gears since there is little give or stretch to compensate. Adding a little extra drag slip will help with this. Then tighten the drag after the hookset if you want to horse. That might make your gears and other moving parts last longer on any reel.

Baitcasters do excel with the type of fishing you want to do compared to spinning reels, but I would try adding a little more drag slip unless you are only doing short-line flipping and pitching with them. Then, you are probably going to have shorter reel life with spinning reels.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I run my Drags fairly tight to ensure that I get a good hook set and if the fish gets to crazy I switch to back reeling...It may be hard on the reels but I have had a higher success ratio doing that then backing off..Everyone has their own techniques...
I am going to play with Baitcasters this year for my tubing, jigging and other finesse tactics..I am going to see if I lose anything by running lighter braid with a Flourocarbon leader on a 7' 6" M/MH baitcasting rig....It will be worth a shot while practicing..The drag is so much more predictable and it is way easier to thumb a spool during the fight then back reeling...Less line twist also...

baggerslimm

I've had the same problems with the Shimano Spinning reels.. I had to stradic blow the gears out this year.. I have bought 4 quatum energy pt 30's.. they are very good reels..  Smooth drag.. they weigh a little more than the stratics.. Good luck slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

fiker

I have one Pflueger President.  I use it on my tube rod.  It has Power Pro for the main line, and I use a fluro leader at the tube end.  I've had no issues with this reel.

All of my other spinning reels are Shimano Symetre.  I use braid on every one, and fluoro leaders depending on water clarity.  Sometimes no leader at all.  I don't have any problems with these reels at all. 

Except.....    I seems to have issues with line twist.  This isn't the first time, I've heard someone say that Shimanos are noted for that.  Part of why I use braid is because of fluro and mono getting too much twist with certain applications. 

I also don't change line as often as probably many of you.  I"ll use my braid for a couple of seasons if it looks and feels ok.  A lot of times, I'll take it off the reel, and put it back on in reverse. 

Other than that, I'm real happy with my Shimanos.  My bait casters are the old Bantam  Curados as well.   

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

matt

Quote from: fiker on November 08, 2009, 07:39:14 AM
Except.....    I seems to have issues with line twist.  This isn't the first time, I've heard someone say that Shimanos are noted for that.  Part of why I use braid is because of fluro and mono getting too much twist with certain applications.

This is why i prefer Daiwa's air bail feature.I have yet to experience any bad line twist this past 2 seasons with my reel.I've used braid,momo and fluorocarbon on that reel with any issues at all.

FishermanJohn

I have 2 Stradic 2500's that are my plastic and drop-shot reels.  I do not have any issues with line twist using PowerPro + fluoro on either reel.  They have held up for 4 seasons and so have the drags.  I use my Quantum Tour 20 with fireline for just about everything else.  They take far more use and I haven't had an issue in 2 seasons with them.