Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 07:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Well How Was D&R's Spring Fling?

Started by Dan, April 06, 2010, 12:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I went down on Friday to see KVD, Skeet, Martens, JVD and Luke Gritter. Had a great time and have some pics up on my http://www.teardropbass.com/ website. You'll get a good picture of Lt. Dan posing for the blog.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Fishmael

Yeah, it was good.  Lot's of information to be shared with the group.  I thought Skeet Reese was the most dynamic speaker of the bunch and also the most willing to divest information to us.  Dan, I was the one sitting in front of you with the GVSU hat during the Aaron Martens seminar. 

Dan

It was nice talking to a fellow Laker. I hate to admit it though, I was there when they still used chalkboards. What was the number one thing that you thought Skeet had to say? I know the guy who nodded off won't be doing that in a Reese seminar.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Fishmael

I was really surprised by his shock that not very many people in the crowd flipped very much.  I know that I don't very much, and that is mainly attributable to the lack of success I have had when trying it and so I haven't developed a confidence with it.  I guess I may have to improve on that. 

Also, I was surprised that he uses rods with as much action as he does.  It makes sense that the rod can act as a shock absorber.

And yes, you should never nod off during a Skeet Reese presentation!

Cy

Well?  Don't keep us in suspense!  What happen to the guy that fell asleep!?
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

TCook

Are you saying not many guys in the audience flipped instead of pitching or are you saying they don't do either? If they don't do either I would be shocked too that's an important part of bass fishing. Big weakness in your repertoire if you don't have the ability to bust out the big stick to pitch cover.
FISH HARD!!!

Dan

That was pitching or flipping. I know I don't flip much at all. I also know a lot of guys that fish tournaments, and they flip very little. Of course, most of those guys are smallmouth guys in the Great Northwest Corner. I do fish docks and a lot of guys in the south flip and pitch to them, but I always use a spinning rod for that. If I fish more in  southern MI and especially the Grand River I'm sure I'd have to start flipping more.

TCook

Ya that's what I figured I think a lot of guys in this state spend most of there time chasing those bronzebacks. You can't blame them for that it is definitely my preference although I am a firm believer in being diverse on the water. I try to mix up species and techniques as much as possible each year to stay confident in those situations. Not that I am real good at pitching but I try to improve every year along with the other techniques.
FISH HARD!!!

Fishmael

I have the setup for it, but find myself going to it much.  It seems that if I find a big weed patch, I am throwing cranks down the edge or throwing a senko into holes, stuff like that.  But, I should probably work on my flipping ability.  I think I just need to go out with someone who is good at it to see what they do.

Oh and the older gentleman that nodded off during Skeet's presentation woke up quickly because Skeet came flying off the counter he was setting on shouting "Don't you fall asleep during my presentation".  Luckily the guy perked up quickly or I don't know what Skeet had planned...

Mike S.

I wanted to go to that so bad.  But, I have to live at work, even on Easter Sunday.  I had plans to go to Camp and cruise this coming weekend, but guess what.....I will be working.

Dan

What's at Camp N Cruise? I didn't know they did a Spring Fling thing.

Cy

Quote from: Fishmael on April 06, 2010, 04:52:01 PM
I have the setup for it, but find myself going to it much.  It seems that if I find a big weed patch, I am throwing cranks down the edge or throwing a senko into holes, stuff like that.  But, I should probably work on my flipping ability.  I think I just need to go out with someone who is good at it to see what they do.

Oh and the older gentleman that nodded off during Skeet's presentation woke up quickly because Skeet came flying off the counter he was setting on shouting "Don't you fall asleep during my presentation".  Luckily the guy perked up quickly or I don't know what Skeet had planned...

Hey,

If you want to go on a flippin and pitchin trip let me know.  I will be happy to take you out and show you how I do it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

I love flippin and pitchin though I don't do it as much as I used to (and it shows). Lake Ovid can be a great f & p lake. I had a fun couple hours up north last June on Tomahawk Cr Flooding f & p into a bunch of downed trees. Had a great day out there doing the same in deeper water on the flooded trees fall of 2008. Basically same community of bass that had just moved out deeper.

I didn't raise my hand during most of Skeet's questions. Figured I'd just bump the camera and I didn't want to be the one guy on any of the many questions he asked. I think some people were just shy.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Cy, let me know when and where. I can always use lessons.

Fishmael

Cy, let me know what works.  I would definitely like to go out and learn more about flipping.  You also mentioned that you would be up for a trip to Muskegon to help me learn the place, so maybe we can combine the two...or two fishing trips are good for me as well if Muskegon is not a good flipping lake.

Cy

Quote from: mikesmiph on April 06, 2010, 11:05:26 PM
Cy, let me know when and where. I can always use lessons.

Sounds good.  I will let you know Mike.  As far as pure flippin' and pitchin' goes the Grand River is probably the best the place to go.  You can flip and pitch there until your arm falls off.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Cy

Quote from: Fishmael on April 07, 2010, 08:04:53 AM
Cy, let me know what works.  I would definitely like to go out and learn more about flipping.  You also mentioned that you would be up for a trip to Muskegon to help me learn the place, so maybe we can combine the two...or two fishing trips are good for me as well if Muskegon is not a good flipping lake.

You're right we did talk about fishing Muskegon...there isn't a lot of good pitchin' water out there but there is some.  We'll see what we can do.  I'm always happy to make more then one trip too.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net