Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2024, 10:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Flipping Reels?

Started by JchesBass_7, May 22, 2011, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JchesBass_7

I was wondering if you guys had any favorite flipping reels i gotta price range of about $150..
Thanks everybody

Jeremy M. Chesney   

dashaver63

I don't have a favorite model per say, but I have been using Quantum's quite regularly. This year I bought the Skeet Reese Victory reel and it's very smooth, plus when I look for a flipping/pitching reel, I use high speed reels only (7.2:1 or 6.7:1 if the reel I want doesn't have that gear ratio) I don't remember who it is but someone is actually coming out with a 7.7:1. If you plan on flipping slop though, you might want to look at the Revo Winch reel, 5.2:1, heavy duty gearing to pull fish through the heavy stuff.

markgoetsch

I like the revo's because of the 24 lbs of drag compared to most others that have 12-14 lbs. of drag.  also the 7.1 high speed would be the way to go.

eetz

I really like the curado 200E7 reels, especially for the money.  There is a company on ebay that sells them with free shipping for about $140.  It's a 7:1 gear ratio, so it should fit your needs when you want to get the fish out of the cover really quickly.  

For this price, it's a great reel.  it sells everywhere for $180, which I feel it is still worth the money.  

McCarter

I have heard good things about the Ardent Flipping reels.  I have no experience with them tho.  Hard to beat a Curado for quality, but the Revos do have a stronger drag. 

McCarter himself :-\'

JchesBass_7

McCarter I should a just asked you what you thought while we were fishing...

teej

IMO you shouldn't go out and buy a reel just for flipping. I've been using standard 6.3:1 ratios for a while now and I can use them for just about everything. You will get your money's worth if you buy a versatile reel. If you want to strictly use it for flipping that's fine because it can act as a backup if something goes wrong with another reel

thedude

for "flipping" you could just tie some 80lb braid to the hilt of your rod. Reel is essentially unimportant as you are never even releasing the spool to cast or even reeling very much if at all. Flip, set the hook, flip into boat.

Pitching you need a smooth reel with some decent bearings and a good heavy drag. Revo SX is a good one.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Crankinsmallies

I use the Ardent Denny Brauer flippin reels and love them, 22lbs. of drag, that never slips, backlash is virtualy non-existent, and a free spool that is the best I have ever used.  Geared at 6.3:1 & has a flippin switch. All this for around $150.

rkillick

I like a left hand reel for flip/pitching so I am not switching hands every cast. the reel is only a bps pro qualifier it works but I wish I spent a few extra dollars. Seems like it took a  beating compared to the revo winch I have on my big cranking rod. Both were on the deck all season and both were taken apart and cleaned the same way.

Cy

Quote from: markgoetsch on May 22, 2011, 08:02:53 PM
I like the revo's because of the 24 lbs of drag compared to most others that have 12-14 lbs. of drag.  also the 7.1 high speed would be the way to go.

Yeah...what he said!  That's what I use.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Roy Randolph

I bought two Quantum codes for $79.99 each for flipping due to the 8 ball bearings 7 to 1 gear ratio and the price.

I liked them so much I bought three more just for spinnerbaits and rattle traps because they have great casting/drag and the speed to allow me to burn baits without wearing me out

With your budget you can afford two reels for what you planned to spend on one.

You won't be disappointed

Make sure to get the 7 to 1 version they also have a 6.3 to 1
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!