Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 08:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Friday 6/24

Started by Revtro, June 24, 2011, 06:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Got out today with MOJO bright and early.  Well at least it was early, we didn't see all that much sun.  Today things were very slow and tough out there.  We caught fish pretty much everywhere we went, but the action was slow.

We started out down near the Detroit River where the action has been good as of late.  The wind was howling out of the South and there was a good chop.  It was hard to fish the area slow and we only boated a few.  Nothing bigger than about 2lbs.  But I am convinced that there are still good fish in the area.  The wind and waves just made it tough.  Then it started to rain.   And rain, and rain, and rain.

We pretty much fished in the rain most of the day.  After giving the area by the river a good shot, we started moving North.  We stopped at a wreck in about 9FOW and managed a few decent keepers and we both got bit off by something, maybe a pike.  The action around the wreck was good for a while, but ended up slowing down.  Another boat starting moving in our direction, so we picked up our bouy and drifted out of the area as not to give away this wreck because it's not on the charts.   8)

Then we decided to give some deep stuff a try to see if the fish have moved out yet.  No dice.  We stopped at a couple of deep spots from 17 to 18FOW and only managed one small keeper on a dropshot. 

We next pulled up on an offshore hump in about 12FOW...nothing.

It was now after 12pm.  Since the majority of our fish came from about 9.5FOW, we decided to head back in toward shore and see what we could find around the Mile Roads.  Once we got back into that depth we started to see bottom and located many beds.  Now I realize the spawn is pretty much over, but we caught quite a few fish around these beds.  Mostly males in the 2lb range.  For a while MOJO was literally sight fishing with a drop shot and caught a bunch that way. 

We managed a few on tubes, but the dropshot was more effective today.  Something white or light colored seemed to be key.  One fish we caught choked up what looked to be a pretty big minnow.  So I'm guessing that's why white was effective.  I chunked a spinnerbait on and off and never got bit on it.  But I did pick up several on a crankbait as did MOJO.  But by in large, the dropshot was the most effective. 

We fished until about 2:30, then my back was killing me, so we got off the water.  For a slow day, I'm pretty happy that we caught about 25, mixed size with plenty of healthy 2.5lb keepers.  It might not have been a big-fish day, but it was a fun day and we caught enough, all things considered.  Thanks MOJO for being great company out there today. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Firefighter Jeff

Great report.  Thanks for posting.  :)

LAPORTE

It looks like someone is the front runner for the most reports contest. Nice job Tom keep up with the great reports reports. Maybe if I had done better in english class.... well thats another story.. 
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Mojo

Wow - I forgot a few parts of the day and you recapped perfectly ! I liked that REV was open to trying some deeper spots. I was hoping to find some refreshed females in the taller grass but we could only locate cabbage. The crank bait hits were fun too. Im convinced the 7'0" medium works better for crankin smallies than a thicker MH crankin stick. MAybe it just seemed that way but we didnt unbutton but once.

REV is good ppl .... and I hear Canada calling !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan