Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 03:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Lake St. Clair Fishing Report

Started by raisinrat, May 03, 2012, 06:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisinrat

Well guys we up here at Sportsmen's Direct are going to try to help keep everyone in the loop on the bites going on up here near the shop.

Right now the the bass bite has been pretty good this week according to the guys coming in the shop to restock on Tubes, Lipless cranks and jerk baits. In tubes ,Greens and white have been working the best. In lipless cranks Texes Craw Red and Chartreuse have been producing well(we have 12 feet of tubes well over a 100 different skus). In Jerkbaits the X-Rap or the Jerk Money from Jack-It Lures try some of your brighter colors and your minnow colors.Pic below is of the Jack-It- Jerk money lure.

There has been a few guys throwing the Goby Replica and doing well also. There has been some kids fishing a marina near our shop that are just pounding largies an pike on the Goby Replica.So if kids can figure out how to get bite using this bait it must be a good bait.We where informed we are the only retail store in the country that has this bait. We have had a hard time keeping them in stock but we have been able to do it.

Now for the other fish species.

Perch- are on fire in  a few spots. I recent caught wind of some action happening out in some deeper water(near the channel) I am working on getting more info on that right now. There is also a good bite going on just to the south of the spillway in 10 to 6 feet of water.The bite has been really good with lots of large perch 12 and up being caught.The guys that are on these fish said they ran out of minnow yesterday and they bought 3 scoop of perch and 2 scoops of walleye minnows from us. Knowing how many are in our scoops that is a lot of minnows!

Pike-Plenty of Northerns in the 30inch range being caught.Lots of northerns taking advantage of the 3 to 4 foot visibility right now.

Walleye- The few that have been out chasing them have been focusing what I think might be a bit to shallow but they have been catching a few fish pulling harness. If you don't have a planer boards don't worry we have a new attachment that will go onto your bottom bouncers and it will pull it away from the boat.It works on bottom bouncers 1/2oz and up.
Justin Clark

Skulley

Thanks for the report. In this day of high gas prices it's a very nice to be able to just go straight to where the bass are biting.

BD.                              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

raisinrat

Spillway

Catfish:Some real dandies have been caught already this week. The numbers have not been super high for most people but fish up to 22lbs have been caught.

Panfish:Reports of Gills, Yellow Perch, White Perch, and White Bass have come in. I think these reports will get better as clarity improves in the spillway again.

Lake:
Perch: The action as been fair, people are still finding some fish in the bay 6 to 10 FOW. Most have started changing gears to other panfish or heading out to deeper water in search of them.

Walleye: We have got word that a few people have been able to get limits. Most are picking up a few here and there. Most people have been focused on fishing out from Metro and the 400 Club.

Gills & Sunnies:Are on fire from all the pics we have seen recently.They have been able to catch them a on ton of different lures such has crappie tubs, Pan Slammers, Ice Mites, Gojo(new Magnum size just came in), and Candy Plastics. Try fishing this on a Dropshot rig or a jig head. Anglers have been using Live bait also. Waxwroms and baby crawlers have been the most popular choices for bait. Rig it under a slip float on a hook or an ice jig. (We have Jammin Jigs on say for 30% off)

Northern Pike: Are still being caught in great numbers in the shallow and Marinas. Try fishing large lipless crank bait like the X-Caliber XR-50 and XR-75 or 1/2oz Strike King Redeye Shad, or Spinnerbaits in 1/2oz in Bright colors and whites.

Largemouth:Are on fire and the males have starting to show signs of fan beds.One of my all time favorite lures for fishing pre-spawn and spawning bass is the Zoom Super Fluke.Other very productive lures for bass at this time is the Garneau "Bed Bug", Tubes, and Goby baits like the Goby Replica or the Goby tube from Cruncher Baits.Try fish in the shallows and Backwaters. Metro has been great for shore fisherman, see video below.
GoPro Metro largies      - YouTube

Heres Cruncher Tubes owner Grant with a nice St. Clair Smallie

Smallmouth:TUBES!! are going great right now.We have over a 100 colors of tubes in stock right now and offer man of them in three colors. There are guys that have been doing great with Jerk-baits(check out the Jerk Money from Jack-It Lures, its a local high quality crank producer) Lipless cranks are still producing well for many people also.

This fish was caught the other day by Art Ferguson.
Justin Clark

Rocknfish

Hey Justin,
Were headed up to LSC this saturday and I will be with 2 LSC newbies.Looking to stop by and check out your store on the way and pick up a few licenses for the guys and other goodies that you stock including the Goby Replica from Mr.Balog.I assume that you do licensing at the store?Any reports on water clarity would be a big help.Looking to try around Selfridge or the Miles Rds depending on the clarity.We will be headed up from Cleveland,Ohio and will be at your doorstep when you open the shop!Looking forward to being back on smallie Mecca...cant wait.
Thanks,
Aaron
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

raisinrat

Quote from: Rocknfish on May 10, 2012, 07:42:04 AM
Hey Justin,
Were headed up to LSC this saturday and I will be with 2 LSC newbies.Looking to stop by and check out your store on the way and pick up a few licenses for the guys and other goodies that you stock including the Goby Replica from Mr.Balog.I assume that you do licensing at the store?Any reports on water clarity would be a big help.Looking to try around Selfridge or the Miles Rds depending on the clarity.We will be headed up from Cleveland,Ohio and will be at your doorstep when you open the shop!Looking forward to being back on smallie Mecca...cant wait.
Thanks,
Aaron

We can take care of you license needs. Clarity has been good, not gin clear and not muddy just a little stained. Avg has been 3 to 4 foot. We have a lot of west winds this week so it chould get better by the time you guys are up.

looking forward to your visit.
Justin Clark

Rocknfish

Rock and fish...thats what I do!