Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 04:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Lake St. CLaire Temps and Bass stage

Started by PABassfish, May 29, 2012, 01:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PABassfish

Hello every one my trip is coming up quick! Were coming up to Mitchells Bay on June 28th. Im wondering what are the water temps like up there, and What stage are the bass in-- Mainly the SM bass-- Ik our seasonal patterens down here are running ahead of schedule this year.
So what stage do you think they will be in in a month??
Thanks everybody! -Mike-

RandyB

Last Saturday, on the west side of the lake, I measured 63F off shore and 69F back in the canals.  LM were spawning in the canals.  I don't think SM were spawning where I was.  There might be some warmer parts of the lake though.  My guess is that spawning is happening for SM for the next month and you'll be arriving toward the late side.  So some early spawners will be in the early summer phase and some others will be post-spawn and a few will be spawning.  That's just my guess.  Someone will be along directly to be more definitive.

LennyB

Most fish have already spawned. The last 2 weeks, we've been catching them off the beds and know many beds are now bare. There will be another wave of spawners but probably alot smaller.   

djkimmel

On the Mile Roads and in the bays, probably saw 500+ beds early last week. Easily over half were empty. But we also saw lots of real fresh fish and the anglers were sometimes tricked by large rock bass that were moving into empty beds in waves to do their own thing.

I've seen bass on beds out there in early April all the way in to mid-July.

I talked to several people last week who thought the spawn hadn't really started yet so it depends, as in most years, on what part of the lake you're looking in (and maybe how good your polarized glasses are?!? ;D).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

For me, fishing a post-spawn pattern has really been paying off for the past week and half.  I have been seeing a TON of empty beds the past few days on the Western side of the lake.  I would assume it's probably the same in Mitchells.  ?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

You have to like a lake that allows success fishing so many different ways!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

Define post spawn pattern fishing on Lake St. Clair please.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Revtro

I don't know if I describe it well, but to me even thought there are some fish on the spawn, the post-spawn females seem to be out deeper from the spawning areas feeding up.  I have seen ginormous pods of baitfish and bugs also atop the water, so there's been some topwater bite too.  Rather than fishing for the shallower spawning fish, I have been out in 12-15 FOW fishing for bigger fish and it's been pretty successful.  This is usually the pattern after the shallow spawn starts finishing up.  It's like an early summer pattern before the fish move way out to their summer haunts.  At least this is what I think is happening.  ;)
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Skulley

Quote from: Revtro on June 01, 2012, 09:05:47 AM
I don't know if I describe it well, but to me even thought there are some fish on the spawn, the post-spawn females seem to be out deeper from the spawning areas feeding up.  I have seen ginormous pods of baitfish and bugs also atop the water, so there's been some topwater bite too.  Rather than fishing for the shallower spawning fish, I have been out in 12-15 FOW fishing for bigger fish and it's been pretty successful.  This is usually the pattern after the shallow spawn starts finishing up.  It's like an early summer pattern before the fish move way out to their summer haunts.  At least this is what I think is happening.  ;)

That's a pretty good explanation as to what's happening on the Mile Roads right now Rev. Some of the other areas I have been fishing including the area you and I fished last Friday May 25, have multiple things going on. I am catching fish in all modes, pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn. But I am fishing areas that have spawning areas close to pre and post-spawn staging and feeding areas. When what is going on right now on........it's on. I wish Ontario was open right now because I am willing to bet that the south shore of LSC is spot on. With the seasonal changes happening faster this year, you'll have to approach those areas with a different frame of mind to be successful out there. Patterns are changing daily.

BD.                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Plus... most studies that have looked at it say only about 1/3 of all bass spawn in any one year so I always figure that means the majority - 2/3's if my math is right - are doing something else. Like being bass and eating. I do think many bass tend to follow each other around and hang out in similar areas even if they aren't all spawning or all doing whatever else they are doing. I saw a bunch of this on a small pond this afternoon. I found the in place for the day. Bass of all sizes just swimming around and hanging out. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd...