Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 12:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Optimax 225 Breakin

Started by bshaner, May 05, 2007, 09:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

Ok, I have read the manual.  I've gotten advice from the mechanic who replaced my powerhead...

I have to break-in my Optimax 225 and think I have the procedure down and ready...

Here's what I'm looking for.  TIPS.  Secrets!  Anything you think I might not have read or useful tips that will make this a successful process.

I'm entertaining you people's opinions on Oil use as well.  Synthetic Opti oil vs. Premium Plus.  Any dangers to mixing the two once?  I have Premium Plus in there right now with a gallon of it left and dont want to drain the entire oil system.  Will it kill the motor to start using Synthetic and mix it in with the current oil until the old is used up?  By old oil I dont mean years old... I mean the current oil I put in a month ago.  Or should I stay with Premium Plus?

From my understand I'm going to use twice the oil for the breakin period so that old oil should go fast. 

Does a motor get conditioned to using a certain type of oil say synthetic or non?

Can I spread the breakin hours over a few days or does shutting off the motor and letting it cool down for a night take me back to ground zero with the break-in?

I'll take any and all opinions and weigh them against eachother.   Dont hold back.  Any voice will be heard!!

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Cheetam

I've never had to break in an Opti, but my only advice (for any motor model/brand) is to follow the break in procedure by the book...no shortcuts.
Jeff

djkimmel

Ditto on following by the book. Most new motors can be checked for rpms so at warranty time, they'd know if you did what you're supposed to or not, and of course, you expect it to be what is good for your motor for long life so you don't need warranty.

I do not believe you have to do the entire break-in in one day. I've never been told that by anyone. I would only be concerned if it specifically said something about it in the manual. It should just be the procedure you follow for the set number of consecutive hours of operation.

I usually call the service department I know the best and ask. I would think you could also call Mercury - I bet they have a customer service option that may answer some of your question 'officially.'

In fact - from their site: http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/outboardfaqs/optimax.php

What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?
Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period.

Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine. Use the Bookshelf link on the Mercury Dockstore page if you need to place an order for a replacement manual.

What is the advantage of the OptiMax/DFI Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Outboard Oil?
The OptiMax/DFI Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Outboard oil is specifically designed for Mercury Marine direct injected outboard engines. The additive package used in this oil is superior to the other oils we produce and formulated to provide an extra margin of protection in the OptiMax engines. OptiMax engines have additional pressures and temperatures over their carbureted and EFI counterparts.

Can I mix the OptiMax oil with the Premium Plus oil that I have been running in my OptiMax?
Yes. OptiMax oil can be mixed with the Mercury Premium Plus oil that you have been running in your OptiMax.

*OptiMax Oil is ONLY for use with OptiMax Outboard engines and is NOT approved for use with EFI or Carbureted engines manufactured by Mercury Marine, nor is it recommended for use with engines from another manufacturer.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bshaner

Thanks Dan and Jeff.  Just so you know, I have read the manual and the site.  I plan on following it to the letter.

Dan, I missed the Oil FAQ somehow, thanks for pointing that out.

I dont plan on taking any shortcuts.  ;)

Just wondering if there are extra care tips over and above.  Things you experienced gentlemen have learned over the years.

Thanks guys,

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Bender

"I feel your pain"
I'm about 5 hours into breaking in my Yammie, so no advice, but it sure is boring those first few hours.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

225XS4Garza200PXL

Break it in as loaded as you can possibly get it...

Put as much tackle in your boat as you can, fill up the boat with gas, fill the livewells...

Keep it trimmed down... vary RPM's alot... don't baby it... run it like you stole it in the recommended RPM range... hard accelerations and deccelerations to seat the rings...

I love my Optimax...
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

bshaner

Thanks Garza.  ;)

The book says let the motor warm up for 30 to 60 seconds then start the break-in.  Are they for real?  I've always heard Opti's need more warm up time than that.  Is the break in just an exception? 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

joshimoto son

Drive it like you stold it!!!

If it don't blow up again... it's a good one!   ;D ;D ;D

smbassman

As Garza mentioned, load the boat and keep it trimmed down.  Not low enough to hook to bow and make steering tough.

I guess you don't have smartcraft guages to monitor temp.  A minute should be plenty.  I don't remember what the book says, but the merc mechanic that swapped my powerhead told me to go 15 minutes per rpm range for the first hour.  He said they break in the Classic boats at 3000, 4000, back to 3500, up to 4500 (change rpm slowly) then for the second hour very between 3500-4500 (again 15min/rpm) with a burst to 5500+ for one minute between rpm changes.

Just so you are not concerned, it will not be easy to get on plane the first time.  The motor is very tight, so I would recommend at least get the first hour done in one run.

225XS4Garza200PXL

Optis only need alot of warm-up time when the water is frigid cold and the temps are cold...

One thing you can do and this is what I did on my Optimax... put in at Elizabeth Park... start the break in there and run down to Erie... then back up the Detroit River through the Livingston Channel... head all the way up to Lake St. Clair and then head back... varying RPM's, and stuff I think it took me an hour and a half....

Do it twice if you have the time...

Jose Garza

www.josegarzafishing.com

www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West

www.providertackle.com

www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

bshaner

That sounds like a good idea.  If the weather is cooperative this weekend I'll do that.  I dont want to do it on rough water though.  Is the river pretty stable even if the wind kicks up?

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

joshimoto son

That's a good idea Jose.
I told him that he should expand upon that and go right on up to Port Huron.

225XS4Garza200PXL

The River is pretty stable on most days...

With a hard West wind the downtown Detroit area gets rough... and with a Southwest the lower mouth gets pretty bumpy but day in an day out the Detroit River is good to go...

The only problem with goin up to Port Huron is Lake St. Clair... more often than not, the lake will be pretty bumpy...
Jose Garza

www.josegarzafishing.com

www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West

www.providertackle.com

www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

bshaner

Even if I just ran the river it would still be more efficient than doing the NASCAR left turn on Wamplers or Devil's.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844