Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 03:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Dropshot Tubes

Started by Revtro, June 27, 2007, 09:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Not only am I really into the Xtreme Bass Tackle baits because they just plain work... but this new 2.5 inch Canadian Mist dropshot tube is the real deal.  For the past 2 weeks, it has been the number one producer out on St. Clair for me and my partner.  I was a little skeptical at first of a dropshot tube until I worked with it.  I was especially excited to see my partner land a 4.51 last night on it.  These past 2 weeks have made a believer out of me. 

I can't wait to see if it'll be available in the St. Clair Goby pattern because I have to believe that color will rock as a dropshot tube.  Wayne, you scored a home run with this one. 

You guys and gals gotta try this. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

TCook

looks like I will be making another order
FISH HARD!!!

dartag

i bought some of the Craw drop shot tubes.  how are you rigging them.  they are cute little buggers.  i use the craw on inland lakes.  check your livewells and when you get the craw bits compare them to the tube color.  it is amazing how close they match.

Revtro

I just nose hook them on a normal drop shot rig.  It has worked wonderfully.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

Where can I go to see an updated products list?

motocross269

I went to the Combat tackle website and their ebay site and I couldn't find anything on Drop shot tubes....I would like to get some before next week when I start prefishing for the BFL....Help...

Revtro

Your best bet is to contact Wayne directly.  He will hook you up.  Email him at: wayne@combat-bassfishing.com

Wayne is a great guy and will go out of his way to help you get what you need.  I also sent him an email asking him to check out this thread to help you guys out.  You won't be dissapointed.  The dropshot tube is an awesome way to present a tube bait when a regular tube is picking up too much gunk off the bottom.  And it will get big fish.

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

WayneC

Thanks a lot for the interest and some good feedback on the baits.  It's been a real blast this year with the new drop-shot baits.  I'm pasting the link to the Ebay page for anyone who is interested.  Thanks again guys!

http://stores.ebay.com/Xtreme-Bass-Tackle_Tubes_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQpZ3QQtZkm

fiker

Rev,
when you fish the drop shot tube, where do you fish it?

How much tag end do you leave below the hook?

What size weights are common for Clair and in what depths? 

And as long as you're giving away all your secrets, what would be the GPS coordinates that it works the best on?   ( just kidding on this last one).

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Revtro

In order:

I am still experimenting with them.  So far, I have been finding success with them in deeper water (10 to 14 FOW), but I am excited to try them in the river when the fish move in.  It has been working great fishing them similar to the "tube drag" drifting, looking for tight schooling fish.

1/8 and 1/4 oz are the size weights I've been using because that's all I have. 

Coords: 42 by 82  ;D

Seriously though, I'm excited about these tubes and they have been really working, but I'm by no means an expert with the dropshot.  I still consider myself a beginner, trying to learn the ropes.  But this presentation does seem to be the real deal IMO.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

WayneC

Hey Tom...can I use those coordinates too?

It's come down to the fact that I now have yet another dedicated rod, the drop shot rod.  As one pro golfer once told me, "I wouldn't leave my 9 iron behind now would I?"  This was in response to someone who couldn't believe he "needed" so many rods.

Since I use pencil sinkers exclusively on my drop shot right now I normally start with 3/8 oz.  Pencil sinkers hardly ever get hung up and I use a snap at the bottom of my drop so I can easily swap them out, or in the worst case, add another in rough conditions.  The cool thing about pencil weights is that they can be easily trimmed to 1/4 oz., 3/1/6 oz. or 1/8 oz. by snipping them with the cutter on your pliers.  No retying.  The best ones have a swivel at the top and are available at most of the local tackle shops around the big water.

The drop shot is known as a deep water presentation but I use it everywhere anymore.  You can even use it in a foot of water to get to fish when the algae or sand grass on the bottom won't let you drag anything through.  This has raised the fishable water available to me by a huge percentage.  Before I had to rely on less effective presentations to get over the top of the algae.

Experimenting with the length of your drop is the best way to go.  It seems like everyone has their favorite length.  Just try to visualize the level at which the bass are feeding, then adjust accordingly.

God Bless, Good Luck and Good Fishing...Wayne

WayneC

FYI - My emergency order of Canadian Mist and Green Pumpkin with chartreuse and puprle flake drop shot tubes (2 1/2") are in.  I'll have enough for a while, but I would recommend ordering in 50 to 100 counts so you have them to the end of the season.

Update:  The Canadian Mist drop shot tube has been like a bass vacuum cleaner.  It's catching everything in the area.  I switched over to the Great Lakes Craw DST and caught less, but consistently bigger smallies.

Revtro

Sure Wayne, go ahead and use those coordinates.  Just don't tell anyone.  ;D

Set aside 50 of the Canadian Mist dropshot tubes for me.  I'll give you a call.
THX.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

I'll have to raid someone's tackle box to get some Canadian Mist and Great Lakes Craw dropshot tubes... or tear apart my boat until I find the first bags of them I bought (that have vanished).

Oh... and Rev, go ahead and put the coordinates on this board... no one will see them...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

Gotta love it here guys. My partner caught 3.5 + on drop and tube colored geat lakes craw. I had McCarter special drop shot in Canadien Mist and Motor Oil + purple flake catching about the same. My Extreme St Clair Goby is still king in my book and caught big on it too. I believe color does affect these fish.

Once we stopped goofing with the live crawdads, our fish catch really picked up. He out fished me 16.5 lb to 14 lb, but our combined best 5 ended up 18 +. Jack calls the Great Lakes color fish food.

Call it what you will, but for some reason I believe the drifting 2 - 4"  live crawdads just didnt look natural on the drop shot hook.

So go get your fish food and get 20 - 28 feet deep !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

yukonjack2

Gobi Wayne:

Set aside 50 candian mist, and 50 Great lakes Craw for me as well -
Went through a bunch this past week.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

TCook

Wayne, Ill take 50 Canadian Mist and 50 Green Pumpkin char/purp DST.

Thanks Tim Cook

FISH HARD!!!