Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 07:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

My Personal Best. A Lake Ovid TOAD!

Started by Ryan, May 03, 2009, 11:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Lake Ovid has been my arch nemises lake for many years and I have never really been able to figure it out.  Being one of the few lakes in the Lansing area, I fish it a lot, but it almost always leaves me frustrated.  From now on though, Ovid will be one of my favorites.

My dad and I fished it on saturday, May 1st.  After launching at about 11:30, we preceded it hit some of our best spring spots.  The water was a lot dirtier then I had expected and the wind was blowing pretty hard which really limited our tactics.  After catching only one dink and one small keeper in the first 3.5 hours, I decided to go back and work through the area slowly where we had caught the dink and missed one.  I was pitching a beaver to shoreline structure and then slowly working it back to the boat, when I stuck a nice one.  It ended up being 19 inches and just under 4lbs.  I then got a dink and another keeper in the next 30 yard stretch so I began to make several passes back and forth through it.  On the fourth pass through this small bay, I hooked into a good one.  When I finally saw it, she dwarfed the four pounder I had just caught.  After a very tense but brief battle, I landed it.  She went 21.75 inches and 6.6lbs(on a reliable scale) and was filled to the brim with eggs.  I have never caught a largemouth over 5.25lbs so to catch one over 6.5lbs, I was stunned. 

I just had to share the story and a few pictures with you guys.  I still can't believe it.

-Ryan

MIBassKid

wow nice hawg Ryan. we'll have to hit lake lansing again this summer.

djkimmel

But all these other guys keep telling me there ain't no bass in Lake Ovid...?!?

Good job Ryan! You sure she didn't swallow a muskrat?

I think Genie and I saw that car... bass on a bed last spring ;D I even think Genie now believes there are bass in Lake Ovid! Of course...? If everyone starts thinking there's bass in Lake Ovid, the wait at the ramp might get longer...??

Maybe you caught that bass on Lake Lansing? ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

I'm still not convinced there are any fish in Ovid ... from teh background of those pictures, it looks like Kent Lake ...
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Cheetam

Nice fish Ryan.  Congrats on the new personal best.
Jeff

t-bone

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

spinninbug

Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

joshimoto son

I'm jeleous!
Thank you for weighing it too!
Kind of makes you think what some are calling 5 pounders huh? :o

joshimoto son ;D

Bender

That is a hog! Congratulations! I've been meaning to get back to Ovid and now have some motivation.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

It appears to be Lake Ovid in the background... I recognize the lifeguard on the beach in the background... look close... you'll see her.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

That's not just a hog it's a Pig/hog  !!!!!   Sure is something the bellies on some of these fish.  I got a 6 pound smallie a couple falls ago, that must have been full of golbies.  It looked like it was ready to spawn in October from East Grand Traverse Bay.  Ummm  I took a pic of the bellie too.  lolol

Durand Dan

Holy crap!! Why didn't you put that in the boat at the DK Fall Open a couple of years ago? We could have won $20. Good job Ryan!!

Ryan

Thanks guys! I still get a big smile on my face everytime I think of that hog.   8)

zooker

live from the land of the crankbait...