Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-07-11, 08:07:55
220+  boats in the Bassmaster Open on St. Clair!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 07:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Scrounger Jig....

Started by teej, April 03, 2010, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teej

Does anyone have any tips for altering a scrounger head? I tied on a Luck E Strike scrounger this afternoon and it didn't do **** in the water besides act like a standard lead jighead. I guess Aaron Martens was right....these knock offs of his original suck!

djkimmel

I have the Aaron Martens scrounger heads that had his name on them. I got them from Mikes Rx Baits in 2008.

I've caught some toad smallies on them and a few really nice largemouth bass. This includes several in the few tournaments I've fished the past few seasons including the TBF Regional on St. Clair and an NBAA tournament there last summer... even though Aaron said they aren't 'right' either??

Bought several sizes of bills and jig weights. With an Xtreme Bass Tackle Shad-x on them they look awesome in the water. I've done the best with them in St. Clair. Those are the only ones I've tried. I expect to catch more bass with them this year though I may try the ones Aaron said are coming out. Maybe from Mike's or D & R Sports.

Not sure if I want to mess with the ones I have. I haven't done any tinkering with them. They are expensive and if I end up making them worse, I wouldn't be happy...?

Aaron said to trim a little off the bottom edge of the bill and some off the sides to make them narrower... I don't know. I like the action I have now?? Even more, I like the big 4 to 5 pound smallies that have also liked them!! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

Amen those knocks off suck. I picked up some real ones at basspro several months ago. you have to fine tune them, to the size and weight of you soft bait

djkimmel

Aaron said the ones at Bass Pro as a copy also. He wasn't real happy about it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BryanP

I'd be curious to know what Aaron said about the various ones out there and the "new" one that's supposed to be coming out.  I have a bunch of the ones that he put out the past few years, and bought some of the Luck-e-Strike ones to see what they were like, and I could tell they sucked right away.  I was sitting right across the table from him at lunch on Friday and like an idiot, I didn't even think to ask him for the scoop.

Fishmael

He said that a bunch of the different sizes should be available by summer time.  He said there was one size that the guy making them for him is ready to ship.  He said that the material being used still wasn't quite what he wanted.  He passed on around for everyone to look at and the lip material was like a cross between rubber and a really thick visqueen (sp?).  I cannot remember the name of the company the guy ran...should have wrote that one down I guess.   

djkimmel

I believe the only ones Aaron is endorsing are the new ones coming out from Davis Baits? I have it on tape but haven't processed it yet. I think that was the one.

He said he did not like any of the other ones out there and some were out and out copies. He no longer supported the ones that have his name on them like the ones I bought from Mikes Rx Baits. Those are the ones that I have and they work pretty good. When I stock back up, I'll get them from someone involved with this web site. Whomever carries them.

teej

yup Davis Baits is correct, Aaron seemed pretty excited for these new ones to come out so i'll definitely be looking in to them...when asked about how to tweak the scrounger he seemed pretty reluctant to give up his secrets, whats up with that?

djkimmel

He did share some generalities. I have them on tape. He said a number of times that 'the other pros were going to get him' for giving out too many secrets!?! ;D

Dan

I tried to go to Davis Baits, but their website is not responsive. I know that Aaron's is not up either. Maybe they have something in the works for a new site.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Fishmael

It didn't seem like the development and production was very organized, so it doesn't surprise me that the related sites aren't up as well.  Maybe they'll be up soon!  Seems like you'd want to get that information out there from a marketing standpoint.